Great Tips on Image Optimization
Seroundtable has a great conversation on image optimization with suggestions from some pros including:
- He says that you should enclose your images in divs (defined by a photo class).
- Image titles should be in h3s or larger.
- Images that you want search engines to know about should be 35-40% of the page size and should be on the top of the page.
- The image name is still important.
- Captions should be added to images.
- Never forget those ALT tags (but TITLE tags are not as important).
- You can refer to the image from somewhere in your content to boost its relevance.
- Search engines are getting smarter at figuring out what is in images (face recognition, for example).
Visit Serountable to see the complete list.